Thursday, November 13, 2008

BIG FINISHED

Back in September, I pointed the way to Medium Rob's review of a Big Finish audio-play about the Doctor, "The Boy That Time Forgot".

Thanks now to the blog
"Life, Doctor Who, and Combom", I've heard the entire adventure which someone else had put up on YouTube. (The Combom blog had all 13 parts in one convenient location.)

There have been many times in the past when I wish certain plot-line resolutions in various TV shows had alternate endings. Sometimes I'd seek out fanfic that might have provided different endings to what was established as canon in Toobworld, just so I could pretend it was all "neverwas".

When it came to the death of Dr. Elliott Axelrod on 'St. Elsewhere', I provided my own alternative. (Well, it wasn't exactly an alternative, but instead a continuation of Elliott's participation even after death, just so that he could have been involved right to the very last episode.)

But most times, one should just accept what has occurred within the show and move on. If Toobworld is to be a reflection of our world (minus the talking horses, of course), then we have to accept that there aren't any do-overs. If characters die, they should stay dead.... at least until the show itself brings them back in some way.

I've come away from listening to "The Boy That Time Forgot" still feeling that way. It sullies the memory of a rather heroic sacrifice and cheapens the title character more than he ever deserved.

You warned me, Rob. But I still had to hear it for myself.

Geez, I'm sounding like Dorothy Gale all of a sudden!

BCnU!
Toby O'B

1 comment:

Rob Buckley said...

Always believe me. My word is truth. ;-)