Tuesday, January 1, 2019

MY SO-CALLED LIFE - INTRODUCTION TO TELEVIZH 101


 
In the Toobworld adventures I'm writing, I have a next-generation character who has created a race of TV-based elves.  Like Tolkien before him, this character also created a language for them, called "Televizh".  Its base root is the use of the last names for people in the various fields of television. 
  • "wendt" - "to go"
  • "mirren" - "identical twin"
  • "zmed" - Let's just say you don't want to step in it.

These elves, known as the Telfer, have had contact with TV alien races long before the humans.  And their races have been given the Televizh treatment as well, again using last names - but usually the last names of the actors first or most associated with that race of aliens. 
  • The N'moi - Vulcans
  • The Furlan - Minbari
  • Kholi'qos - Klingons
As you can see, there are some alterations to reflect their alien nature.

But not all of the alien races would have names that are connected to the actors involved, which is why I'm writing this post.

Back in June for about two weeks, Twitch TV had an online marathon of 'Doctor Who' - from the First Incarnation through the Seventh.  I think it was a promotional to get people to subscribe to their platform, but I took advantage of the marathon with no intention of joining.  Mostly I wanted to catch as many of the Hartnell adventures which I had never seen as I could.  

Among these was "The Sensorites".  As I watched these aliens, perhaps the oddest-looking yet most believable physically I had ever seen, I was reminded of two different actors.  Vocally, the City Administer sounded like character actor John McGiver to me....  


But in appearance, I knew they all reminded me of somebody else but I just couldn't place who it was.  

It was several adventures later before it finally came to me.....


Paul Brinegar, dependable supporting player in so many TV Westerns, chief among them 'Rawhide', 'Lancer', 'The Life And Legend of Wyatt Earp', and the movie sequel to 'Maverick'.

So I decided that the Televizh word for "Sensorite" would be "Brinegar".  (I modiied it for the collective term - "The Brinegari".)

Hopefully one day I'll get those adventures finally finished!

BCnU!

 

No comments: