Sunday, June 2, 2019

SUNDAY MARKET - AND NOW A WORD FROM MY SISTER



I was always a TV Guide collector from way back as a kid.  I wasn't maniacal about it, though; back then it was only the Fall Preview issues, maybe the Christmas issues with those endearing covers which celebrated the union of the holiday with the medium without promoting any single TV series.  The Annenberg publication knew it was a time when the network rivals should call a truce to celebrate the meaning of the day.

When TV Guide was gobbled up by the Murdoch empire, that went out the window, but they also pumped out a lot of theme issues - celebrating milestones in television and in pop culture in general.  And those proved to be worthy of joining my collection.

But what had once been a once-a-year diversion grew to fill up about a dozen boxes.  (I was able to break the habit when the corporation in their infinite wisdom changed the format from the traditional digest size to being a regular magazine.  To me, the magic of reading the TV Guide and having it easy to use and close at hand was lost.

As for all of those issues I already had in my collection?  They never saw the light of day until a few months ago when I went through the boxes and culled what I truly wanted to keep.  That brought it down to 3 boxes of the previews and historical best-of issues.  

As for the rest - the sci-fi celebrations, salutes to icons like Sinatra and Lucy, I put them aside and gave my blessing to my sister Leah to sell them on eBay.

At present, she's testing the waters, with only a few listed on her eBay pages.  But if there's a special theme issue you might be interested in from the 1980s onwards, let me know.  If it's here, I'll have my sister put it up on her pages.  (I'm keeping myself out of this; 'work' is a four letter word.)

Just fair warning - there are no special issues in my collection for the Muppets and Seinfeld available.  I've already promised those to friends on Facebook.

In the meantime, why not check out what my sister already has on her eBay pages?  And take a look around at what else she's offering; something might catch your interest!


LEAH'S LENS-NWCT

I hope you get the chance to wander through them....

BCnU!


No comments: