Saturday, October 13, 2018

TUBULAR KNELLS - REMEMBERING GEOFFREY HAYES




1 OCTOBER 2018 • 12:43PM:


Fans of children's TV show 'Rainbow' have paid tribute to its host Geoffrey Hayes, who has died aged 76, for the impact he made on a generation.

The actor and presenter was best known for his role in the long-running programme featuring cuddly puppets Zippy, George and Bungle, having appeared in more than 1,000 episodes between 1974 and 1992.

Hayes died in hospital from pneumonia with his wife Sarah and son Tom by his side, his manager Phil Dale said.

Mr Dale added: "The family would like to express their thanks to the many fans over the years as it always gave Geoffrey so much pleasure to know that he and his Rainbow team had given so much fun to TV and theatre audiences over the years."

(Gareth Davies, The Telegraph)


O’Bviously, growing up in the United States, I didn’t grow up with ‘Raiinbow’… and I was way past the demographic by the time it first aired anyway.  But unlike ‘Button Moon’, I was familiar with Zippy, Bungle, and George, the puppets with Mr. Hayes.  Puppets play an important role in the Toobworld adventures which I’m writing, so I wanted a more international flavor to their presence in my shared universe.  (A bear, a pink hippo, and an oddly shaped puppet with his mouth zipped cross the lobby of the United Nations in one scene.)

In memory of Geoffrey Hayes, I’m presenting some YouTube videos of ‘Rainbow’….









And my sympathy goes out to Geoff Hayes’ wife and son during this time….

Good night and may God bless…
..

No comments: