Thursday, December 7, 2017

AN O'BSERVATION ON WONDER WOMAN


'GRANGE HILL'
(SEASON 9, EPISODE 24)


The school has an annual "Fun Run" and several of the participants take part while in costume.  One of these was the teacher Mr. Baxter (known - probably behind his back - as "Bullet Baxter".)  In April of 1986, he dressed as Wonder Woman, who - although no longer seen on our TV screens since 1979 - was still very much active in Toobworld.  And Mr. Baxter was not the only Toobworldling to dress up in that costume in all its star-spangled glory.....


NORA WILDE
'THE NAKED TRUTH'


DR. TEMPERANCE BRENNAN
'BONES'


DR. MOLLY CLOCK
'SCRUBS'


ABBY CADABBY
'SESAME STREET'


UM... CAPTAIN JACK HARKNESS



CLAIRE DUNPHY
'MODERN FAMILY'



ROBIN ROBERTS
'GOOD MORNING, AMERICA'

Being immortal, Princess Diana is still fighting evil around the globe.  (But because Lynda Carter is not immortal, we can't expect to see her still in the role.  However, Lynda Carter's televersion also appeared in a TV show about her.)

In the main Toobworld, Superman is dead.  The Batman is still active but the original Bruce Wayne retired back in the 1980s, perhaps due to injury.  Other men assumed the cowl after him and even adopted the Bruce Wayne identity.  This tradition began with Dick Grayson, but I have no clue who the current Toobworld Batman could be.  Alls I know is that Toobworld characters do mention him as though he still exists.  (Just this year, the original Bruce Wayne passed away.)

As for the Flash of Earth Prime-Time, I believe his powers finally faded away and Barry Allen lives in obscurity, making a small fortune through the sale of Flash memorabilia - like T-shirts and costumes.  Spiderman was forced into the Witness Protection program after his powers failed and is living somewhere in the country under an assumed identity.  And as for the Hulk, Bruce Banner died from gamma ray poisoning.

But Wonder Woman is still out there and the citizens of Toobworld, no matter what country they live in, still remember her and support her career as a super-hero.

One of these is my blogmate Rob Buckley, who - like my sister/godchild and her son - is celebrating his birthday today.  Every week in his blog "The Medium Is Not Enough", he celebrates the latest news about Wonder Woman.


But I'm not sure if he's ever dressed up as Wonder Woman.

Happy birthday, Rob!


3 comments:

top_cat_james said...

Roz Doyle

Frasier

"Room Full of Heroes" (2001)

Rob Buckley said...

All this for me? Thanks!

No, I've never dressed as Wonder Woman, not even when I went to Themyscira (that's one of my holiday snaps from there). I'll tell you who has dressed up as Wonder Woman, though. Eric Durance - and she was dressed as the Adrianne Palicki Wonder Woman, too.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/erica-durance-harrys-law-wonder-woman-smallville-1041146/

Weekly Wonder Woman's here, BTW, for anyone interested in such things: https://www.the-medium-is-not-enough.com/weekly_wonder_woman I even wrote one today, because that's what I do on my birthday.

Toby O'B said...

Thanks, James. I'll look into that.

And I hope it was a great birthday, Rob!