Friday, July 18, 2014

THE HAT SQUAD: REMEMBERING ELAINE STRITCH



So sad to wake up to the news of Elaine Stritch's death. I'm glad I got the opportunity to see her live on Broadway in her one-woman show. For Toobworld, she'll live on as Jack's mother in '30 Rock' (well, figuratively - the character died in the "My Whole Life Is Thunder" episode), and she was the very first Trixie Norton of 'The Honeymooners' (to be found in Skitandia.) 

Other TV shows in which she had regular roles would be 'Two's Company', 'The Ellyn Burstyn Show', 'Pollyana', 'My Sister Eileen', and 'The Trials Of O'Brien. (Her character in that appears in my Toobworld novel along with Falk's O'Brien - both unnamed of course to protect myself.) She also had recurring roles in 'Law & Order', 'Third Rock From The Sun', 'Head Of The Class', and 'The Cosby Show'. 

But for me, her most powerful role was as herself in the documentary film of the cast recording of 'Company' - late into the night, worked to her last nerve, it's brutal.

Usually I would say "Good night and may God bless" when I mark the passing a Toobworld persona, but in this case.....

Here's to the Lady Who Lunched. Godspeed.








No comments: