Thursday, April 17, 2008

MORPHIN' FREEMAN

As part of his week-long celebration of his 26th birthday, my friend Michael (uncle to my god-daughter Rhiannon) showed me the 1990s version of 'Gypsy' which starred Bette Midler as Mama Rose. As big a fan of Stephen Sondheim as I am, I had never seen the show before. (If I'm going to get Sondheim, I want words AND music!) And although it wasn't really to my taste, there were some really great moments and the song "Rose's Turn" was really powerful.

During the big fight scene near the end between Rose and her daughter Louise (now known professionally as "Gypsy Rose Lee"), it suddenly occurred to me that if there was ever a reason for the late Kathleen Freeman to be portrayed in a TV show or movie, then Bette Midler would be perfect in the role.

But then again, I just re-upped on my meds for my knee, so maybe I'm the only one who sees it.....

BCnU!
Toby OB

No comments: