Sunday, March 12, 2006

WITHOUT ALEXAND'R II: THE 2nd DAY

With my computer dead, I haven't suffered the withdrawal symptoms yet at home, but I find it hard to remember what it was I used to do before I got Alexand'r the First. (My computers are so named because of all of my prompts - sign on, error, mail alerts - are all lines of dialogue by Michael Dunn, mostly as Dr. Loveless but also as Alexander from 'Star Trek'.) I guess that's because I still have access here at work... for now.

I have this pile of videotapes, about fifteen in all, all full, which I've been putting off for a time like this. Last night it was an old 'Close To Home' from November, Alec Baldwin hosting the 2005 Christmas episode of 'SNL', and a lot of classic TV eps from TV Land for Christmas.

My apartment will reap the benefits of this downtime as well. I think the last time I even made a superficial attempt at cleaning it was back in November, so that Ivy wouldn't think I was as big a slob as I truly am when she came over to feed Sand while I was in L.A.

I'm pretty sure if I dig deep enough into the detritus, I'm going to find out what really happened to Chuck Cunningham.....

This will also give me the spark needed to get cracking on my guidebook to the TV Universe. From the essays in the old Tubeworld Dynamic website to the stuff I've dumped on you here at Inner Toob, I've got enough to work with, really. But I do need to get the introductory stuff down on paper and that's always a toughie.

And then there's my latest Inner Toob project - a "biography" of Walter Nichols, the character played by Burl Ives in 'The Bold Ones - The Lawyers'. So far, I'm connecting it (via my own "imagineering") to 'The Paper Chase', 'The Name Of The Game', 'The Sopranos', 'Boston Legal', 'Nichols', 'Banyon', 'Columbo', 'City of Angels', 'Quantum Leap', 'The Defenders', and 'Rumpole Of The Bailey'.

It's being written in a similar style to my earlier essays on Dr. Miguelito Loveless of 'The Wild, Wild West'; very much in the same vein as those essays to be found in Win Eckert's excellent website dedicated to Philip Jose Farmer's concept of the Wold Newton Universe, as opposed to the actually defined crossovers of the Tommy Westphall Universe.

To me, the connections all make sense. (For 'Quantum Leap', check out the cast list of the pilot "The Sound Of Anger" for a clue to the splainin.) When I finally get a chance to post it, I hope you'll like it.

Well, that's all for this night's shout into the void.........

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

No comments: