Monday, January 1, 2024

WHO IS MRS. FLOOD? BREAK DOWN THE SURNAME!


There’s a meme-maker out there who has a suggestion for the mother of Ruby Sunday (a backstory revealed in the Fifteenth Incarnation’s first full, televised adventure….)


My opinion?  Doubtful.

I have seen other suggestions out there which think it may be the next door neighbor to the Sunday family – Mrs. Flood.  But they also cite her surname as a possible clue to her true identity.  Most of them believe the name “Flood” is a clue to her being somehow connected to River Song.

RTD is known for the clues he leaves for the viewers.  “Bad Wolf”.  “Mister Saxon”.  And I believe the answer is Mrs. Flood.  But I don’t think it has anything to do with River Song.

I think most of those fans O’Bsessed with River Song as the key are more than likely the type of fans whose knowledge of the series extends only as far back as Eccleston’s relatively brief tenure as the Ninth Incarnation, if even that far!  But RTD is also known for reaching deep into the show’s ancient history to dredge up characters and plot points – the Macra in “Gridlock” and Rassilon in “Last Of The Time Lords” are two examples.  The popular opinion as I write this is that Jinkx Monsoon will be playing the Rani, not seen – at least from our timeline’s perspective – since 1993.

So I think the same will hold true in this case, even if Mrs. Flood doesn’t prove to be Ruby’s birth mother, she still might turn out to be somebody from the Doctor’s past.  Like a former Companion….

The fans who are guessing River Song at least share my belief that her name is the key to her identity.  “Flood.” What is a flood, but a field of water?

I’m thinking it could be that she was once known as Victoria Waterfield before she left the TARDIS and was “adopted” by the Harris Family.


Because the onscreen captions identified “The Church On Ruby Road” as taking place in the month leading up to Christmas 2023, it’s unlikely Victoria could be the mother of Ruby.  It may be a sci-fi/fantasy series, but “there are limits, Mate” and a pregnancy for Victoria in 2004 would have been stretching plausibility.

Setting aside the Ruby's Mother angle, I’ll stick with my claim that Mrs. Flood is Victoria Waterfield… at least until Russell T. dashes my theory to bits….

And even then.


No comments: