Monday, October 28, 2019

BIG SCREEN TV - MONDAY MOVIE MINUTIAE


This year, I’m trying my best not to even sample the new shows; my interests have been changing after 20 plus years focused on Toobworld.  I’d say only a few have ensnared me – ‘Stumptown’, ‘’Perfect Harmony’, ‘Bob Hearts Abishola’ and ‘Evil’.

I’m not a big fan of horror anymore, but the people in charge of ‘Evil’ are responsible for ‘The Good Wife’ and its sequel ‘The Good Fight’, so I knew they had a good record. (Okay, they stumbled with that alien zombie politician show.)

As the series is focused on demonic possession, looking at both sides of the concept, comparisons to ‘The Exorcist’ were sure to pop up.  And with the fifth episode, “October 31”, the series finally dealt with an actual exorcism.  So they tackled the issue head-on with a nice little in-joke:



The top picture is of course the iconic image from the movie showing Father Merrick arriving at the Georgetown residence in which the exorcism was taking place.

The second picture shows Kristen’s mentor, a psychiatrist played by Kurt Fuller, arrives to give his opinion on what the Church is doing in their ritual.  Except for the power of imagery, they didn’t clobber us over the head with the in-joke.

BCnU!

No comments: