Saturday, August 31, 2019

LAST ROUND-UP FOR THE 2019 TV WESTERN SHOWCASE


I gave up regular posting on the weekends for Inner Toob a while ago; your old Curator needs some time off.  But as the last day of August was falling on a Saturday, with of course the first of September on Sunday, I felt I needed to deal with both of them.  Particularly with today being the last day of the annual tradition of the TV Western showcase.

So let me close out the month with this wonderful picture of Jack Kelly as Bart Maverick.  Bart is a member of the Television Crossover Hall of Fame, inducted even before his older brother Bret.


This was originally in black and white, but it was brilliantly and lovingly colorized by my FB friend Sharon Viljoen, one of the two leading experts in Bartology.  (Linda Alexander being the other.  Hi Linda!)
Sharon posted this picture with a note that it is not from any particular ‘Maverick’ episode and in fact, Mr. Kelly never even wore the outfit in any of the episodes of the show.  It's a publicity picture!
So this could serve as inspiration for any TV Western fanficcers out there who want to write about Bret Maverick’s baby brother.  
He’s obviously (to me, at least) on board a riverboat – perhaps the Cynthia B? – and looks rather pleased with Life.  Maybe he’s just concluded a very profitable turn at the tables.
A good fanficcer will probably find a way to leave him on his uppers soon enough!
If you’re so inclined to write about such a situation, have at it!
I hope you enjoyed this month of TV Western posts.  Every year I surprise myself that I find something new to write about, considering the genre has faded from the heights of popularity it once held.  But while it was at the top, there were so many series which I haven’t even covered yet.  And then there’s that sub-plot in “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood” which dealt with ‘Lancer’….  I never even got a chance to cover that!  Oh well, there’s always next year… I hope!
Thanks for checking in, Y’all.
Happy Trails!

No comments: