Thursday, December 27, 2018

MISSING LINKS - "COLUMBO" & "DIE HARD"



I've been writing posts for Inner Toob since August 2004.  This is the 11,354th one.  Every so often one of my posts resurface in my Google searches and I don't even recognize them; it's been that long and there have been that many!

One of my FB friends (and one who shares my birthday), Steve Skayman, is also a big fan of 'Columbo'; we're members of an English-based 'Columbo' page on Facebook.  And for Christmas he shared a couple of frame grabs from the episode "Uneasy Lies The Crown" in which a building could be seen in the background.  It's the same building that was identified as Nakatomi Plaza in the movie "Die Hard";



Turns out I wrote about this high-propane action film movie twice over the years, in connection to the TV series 'The Middleman', and 'Chuck'.

For more on those posts, click here and here.
 
In Toobworld, "Die Hard" is a movie, but it was based on an actual event which took place in Toobworld before 1987.  (The movie, as it did in the Real World, came out in 1988, thirty years ago.)




For most of the points I made in those two articles, I still stand by them.  Al Powell of the actual event was the cousin of Big Mike of BuyMore.  In the movie he was played by an incredible lookAlike named Reginald VelJohnson, whose televersion was established in the 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' episode "Bachelorette Party" when Detective Jake Peralta got to meet the actor and discuss the movie with him.

One thing I would change would be that scene in 'The Middleman" which provides the caption "Vandelay Industries" to a shot of Nakotomi Plaza. 

That caption has no bearing on any Toobworldling unless they are tele-cognizant.  That is still Nakatomi Plaze, but Vandelay Industries are to be found within the tower.

Thanks again, Steve for the 'Columbo' connection to "Die Hard"!

Mah jong......

No comments: