Tuesday, July 30, 2013

THE HAT SQUAD - EILEEN BRENNAN



Eileen Brennan, a smoky-voiced actress who had worked in show business for more than 20 years before gaining her widest attention as a gleefully tough Army captain in both the film and television versions of “Private Benjamin,” died on Sunday at her home in Burbank, Calif. She was 80.
- Anita Gates
The New York Times

Captain Doreen Lewis is one of those "Borderlands" characters in Toobworld, having an exact counterpart in both Toobworld and the Cineverse.  Ms. Brennan was rewarded for her continuation of the character on TV with an Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actress. 

It will be one of her movie roles which I will always think of first when I remember Eileen Brennan.  And that's because of this exchange of dialogue from "Murder By Death":

Lionel Twain: I'm the greatest, I'm number one!

Sam Diamond: To me, you look like number two, know what I mean?

Dora Charleston: What DOES he mean, Miss Skeffington?

Tess Skeffington: I'll tell you later. It's disgusting.


She was one hell of a broad, in the best possible use of that term, and she will be missed.

Good night and may God bless......

No comments: