Thursday, April 12, 2012

AS SEEN ON TV: SYRIO FOREL


SYRIO FOREL


CREATED BY:
George R.R. Martin

PORTRAYED BY:
Miltos Yerolemou

AS SEEN IN:
'Game Of Thrones'

TV LOCATION:
King's Landing, Westeros, Mondas

From the "Game Of Thrones Wiki":
Syrio Forel is a recurring character in Game of Thrones. He is played by guest star Miltos Yerolemou and débuts in the third episode of the first season. Syrio Forel is a master sword-fighter and instructor, originally from the Free City of Braavos where he spent nine years as the First Sword of the city, before relocating to King's Landing.


My friend Helen Freeman warned me before the series began that I should not get too attached to any character. I know she was referring to one particular character who didn't see the light of day in Season Two. But I still wonder if that warning could be applied to Syrio, perhaps the most charismatic of all the secondary characters in the show?

We didn't see Syrio die in that scene, but logic might lead us to believe that he surely must have. After all, he only had a broken wooden sword at hand. (Why he didn't take a quick second to grab up one of the blades of his fallen opponents doesn't make sense to me.)

But Syrio Forel was the First Sword of Braavos. Eventually he may have disarmed one of the guards so that he might use that blade for himself against Ser Meryn and the others. I haven't read the books (and I won't until the series has ended), so I can't say for certain what his fate was over in BookWorld.


By the way, please don't post any spoilers in the comments below or they will be deleted. Delete. Delete. Delete. I don't need to have my curiosity satisfied.

BCnU!

No comments: