Tuesday, October 25, 2011

ONE THAT GOT AWAY

Every so often, an idea comes to me for a Toobworld post which unfortunately doesn't pan out once I have done the research.

As you might know, I'm currently enjoying 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents' which airs several times a day on Antenna TV (currently the TRUE TV Land, in my opinion!) And in one of those episodes, Hitch was fiddling with a voodoo doll and a hypodermic needle. He claimed he was going to surprise an old friend with it.

I figured - hey! Why not make the claim that the serlinguistic televersion of Alfred Hitchcock actually killed the televersion of some celebrity or historical figure who died on the same day as the original broadcast via voodoo?

The episode in question was "The Cheney Vase" (Darren McGavin, Patricia Connige, Carolyn Jones, and George MacReady), and it was broadcast on Christmas Day, 1955. (My first Christmas!)

I thought it would be a given! Lots of celebrities have died on Christmas Day over the years - Eartha Kitt, Vic Chesnutt, Dean Martin, James Brown, Denver Pyle, Charlie Chaplin, Joan Blondell, Billy Martin, W.C. Fields, and TV Crossover Hall Of Fame member William T. Orr.

Unfortunately, none of them died on Christmas Day, 1955.

So I thought, okay.... maybe it was a delayed reaction; maybe it took a couple of days to die.....

Nobody died on the 26th or the 27th either.

There wasn't any other event of note to happen on that day either.

Oh well, it was a nice idea.

Right - hoping a celebrity died on a particular day is a nice idea.....

BCnU!

2 comments:

Andy said...

I agree Antenna TV is pretty good, but my favorite is MeTV. I don't think they have an affiliate in New York City. MeTV has "Perry Mason," "Hawaii Five-O," "Kojak," and "The Rockford Files." Antenna TV is also good. I like watching "Dragnet" and "Adam-12" at lunch time. Antenna TV and MeTV both carry shows that Retro TV once aired.

Toby O'B said...

My blogging buddy Ivan writes about ME-TV a lot in his "Thrilling Days Of Yesteryear" blog, so I checked it out. You're right, there is no affiliate in NYC, sadly. And none in Connecticut, so I couldn't even check it out if I went home to visit.

Maybe someday.....