Saturday, March 19, 2011

THE HAT SQUAD: MICHAEL GOUGH AS ALFRED

In his later years, the late Michael Gough's most famous role was that of Alfred Pennyworth, the butler and confidante of Bruce Wayne in three theatrically-released movies. ("Batman", "Batman Returns", and "Batman & Robin")

But the character is a true multiversal, not only exisitng in the Cineverse, but he has a counterpart in an alternate TV dimension - most likely the "Evil Mirror Universe". (It can't be Earth Prime-Time, because he existed on the Main Toobworld back in the 1960's.....

Here's the video evidence:






And here's a behind-the-scenes look at Gough's work in fleshing out the character....




BCnU!

4 comments:

ArcLight said...

Not to be one of *those* guys but it's four movies. He was in BATMAN FOREVER also. Not that I blame you for forgetting it. In fact, I kind of envy you.

Toby O'B said...

Ha! Thanks, ArcLight! I wasn't even sure I got the second movie's title right. I saw the first two, but I'm one of those people who don't like recasting in the movies. I've only seen the one Jack Ryan movie, with Alec Baldwin, and I wasn't that big a fan of the James Bond series anyway. (But at least that makes sense if you look at "James Bond" as a code name too.)

Hugh said...

So why are you suggesting this would put Alfred in the "Mirror, Mirror" universe?

Technically, the movie universe ties one television show--the actor in the On*Star ads was the stunt double from those films, and he then played Batman in the first episode of Birds of Prey, which also connects to the Animated Series with Mark Hamill providing the voice of the Joker. Yes, I know you don't count any of these as part of the "true" toobworld.

Toby O'B said...

I meant to add that "Birds of Prey" would be in that same dimension. I just like the idea of it being the Evil Mirror Universe because there's such a harsh "reality" to the world depicted in the Tim Burton films as well as that TV show.

And we know from the trips made by the 'Deep Space Nine' crew into that dimension that not everybody was evil.....