Friday, May 7, 2010

AS SEEN ON TV: WINSTON CHURCHILL

WINSTON CHURCHILL

AS SEEN IN:
'Edward & Mrs. Simpson'

AS PLAYED BY:
Wensley Pithey

Sometimes I think I should just chuck the whole notion of the "Many Earths" theory of Toobworld and instead look at it as a blended universe - at least when it comes to the historical figures.

Take for instance the mini-series 'Edward & Mrs. Simpson'. As far as I'm concerned, Edward Fox is Edward VIII for Earth Prime-Time; Cynthia Harris is the official Wallis Simpson. David Waller has the edge in being Toobworld's Stanley Baldwin as he played it in another production as well. And because I'm such a fan of Patrick Troughton, I'd want him to be the televersion for Clement Atlee.

But I can't say the entire mini-series of 'Edward & Mrs. Simpson' must be accepted for every role. Wensley Pithey nearly doesn't register in the role of Churchill and besides, Richard Burton and Robert Hardy have the weight of more appearances in the part to supplant him in the role of the official Winston Churchill as seen on TV. But that's my opinion; yours may vary.....

BCnU!

No comments: