Saturday, November 22, 2008

TODAY'S TWD: HOWARD CARTER

November 22, 1922:
Howard Carter, assisted by Lord Carnarvon, opens the tomb of Tutankhamun.

Sometimes I'm amazed by which historical figures have "televersions" in Toobworld. For instance, I may never have heard of Philip Diedesheimer, the Dutchman who invented the square-set mining system, had it not been for an episode of 'Bonanza' that told his story.

But it's no surprise that Howard Carter should be represented in Toobworld, several times over in fact. He's the type of explorer whose life is tailor-made for the TV treatment. And he was the perfect subject to meet a fictional character like young Indiana Jones.

Here are the actors who have portrayed Carter over the years in various dimensions of Toobworld.

Robin Ellis
. . . Curse of King Tut's Tomb, The (1980)

Stuart Graham

. . . "Egypt" (2005)
{The Curse of Tutankhamun (#1.2)}

{The Search for Tutankhamun (#1.1)}

Pip Torrens

. . . "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, The" (1992)
{Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal (#1.1)}
. . . Adventures of Young Indiana Jones: My First Adventure, The (2007)

. . . Young Indiana Jones and the Treasure of the Peacock's Eye (1995)

J. Scott Turner
. . . Sands of Oblivion (2007)

Giles Watling

. . . Tutankhamun Conspiracy, The (2001)

And in honor of Howard Carter's greatest discovery, a little song (but no dance and no seltzer down the pants):

"You know, one of the greatest art exhibits ever to tour the United States is the treasures of Tutankamen or King Tut!

(King Tut)
(King Tut)
Now when he was a young man,
He'd never thought he'd see,
(King Tut)
People stand in line,
To see the boy king.
(King Tut)

How'd you get so funky?
(Funky Tut)
They said you do the monkey.
(Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia, King Tut)

(King Tut)
Now if I'd known,

They'd line up just to see him,
(King Tut)
I'd've taken all my money,
And bought me a museum.
(King Tut)

Buried with a donkey,
(Funky Tut)
He's my favorite honkey.
(Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia, King Tut)

Dancing by the Nile,
(Disco dancing)
The ladies love his style.
(Fox Tut)
Rockin' for a mile,
(Rockin' Tut)
He ate a crocodile.

He gave his life for tourism.

(King Tut)
(Tut, tut. Tut, tut . . .)
Golden idols!
He's an Egyptian!
They're selling you.

(King Tut)
Now when I die,
Now don't think I'm a nut.
(King Tut)
Don't want no fancy funeral,
Just one like old King Tut.
(King Tut)

He could'a won a Grammy,
(King Tut)
Buried in his 'jamies.
(Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia, he was born in Arizona)
He's got a condo made of stone-a. . .
(King Tut)
- Steve Martin, 'Saturday Night Live'

I was asked if I was going to use today's Tiddlywinkydink to pay homage to the assassination of John F. Kennedy as this marks the 45th anniversary. If "Inner Toob" is still around in five years, maybe I'll do it then. But I've put the spotlight on that national tragedy several times over the years, and I'm not that big a fan of reruns. Besides, I just paid tribute to Bobby, and he was the more interesting Kennedy for me.

Sorry about that, Chief.

BCnU!
Toby O'B

PS:
Goodnight, William Omaha McElroy, wherever you are!

No comments: