Monday, February 11, 2008

THE HAT SQUAD: ROY SCHEIDER

When I got to work this evening, my co-worker and I found the TV in the lunch room already on. It was tuned in to the Discovery Channel and a special on great white sharks in Hawaii. So we watched about twenty minutes before reporting for our shift.

Twenty minutes later, I checked my email and saw that Roy Scheider passed away at the age of 75.

It's a somber form of my "serendipiteevee", but it was in play once again.

When it comees to his TV characters, Scheider's work as Captain Nathan Bridger will probably have to be relegated to an alternate TV dimension. I never watched the full series, but during those few I did see, I kept thinking that it would never fly in the main Toobworld, that there were too many discrepancies in its depiction of the future that would need reconciling.

Later today, once I get home, I'll check over the timeline of 'SeaQuest DSV' to make sure that assessment is correct.

In the meantime, there are several of his characters that can claim residency in the main Toobworld:

Jonas Falk on 'Love Of Life'
Kenny on 'The Edge Of Night'
Bob Hill (the original) on 'The Secret Storm'
Grant Schiller of 'The Seventh Scroll'
and
Fyodor Chevchenko on 'Third Watch'
plus several other guest star roles.

Scheider is also the face of the televersion for Jacobo Timerman in "Prisoner Without A Name, Cell Without A Number".

Of course, everybody will always immediately associate him with "Jaws". Beyond that, his other movie work will also come to mind: "All That Jazz", "The French Connection", and "The 7-Ups" especially.

But we're remembering him here at Toobworld Central today, as well.....

BCnU....
Toby OB

No comments: