Wednesday, August 9, 2006

THE SELL-OUT CROWD: "KYLE XY" & "MONK"

I love 'Kyle XY'; it's my favorite new show of the season (although 'Eureka' is a close second). But they're really pushing this product placement for Sour Patch Kids, their main sponsor, to the point where it's beginning to annoy me.

Don't annoy me. You wouldn't like me if I was annoyed.....

This past Monday, Kyle sat down to a hearty breakfast of Sour Patch Kids in milk. Blecch!


Bt they're not the only ones guilty of being so blatant about product placement. In the latest episode of 'Monk', Sharon Lawrence guest-starred as a real estate agent who leased a new car every year.

After she extolled the special features on her new Buick Lucerne which was the impetus for her hiring Adrian Monk as a private investigator, the show went into a commercial break. And what was the first blipvert out of the box? You guessed it!

I think that if 'Columbo' ever remade "Fade In To Murder" in which the killer was an actor who played "Inspector Lucerne" on TV, then the name of "Buick" would probably be invoked every ten minutes.

They'd probably even force Columbo to start driving one!

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's kind of fun to watch writers bend and twist, trying to wedge a product mention into a plot. 

I.V.

Anonymous said...

So you don't get in trouble.... I'm just writing to point out that "Realtor" is a trademarked name and is not synonymous with "real estate agent". "Realtor" is a member of the National Association of Realtors and must be capitalized. Not all Realtor's are real estate agents and not all real estate agents are Realtors.

Toby O'B said...

Thanks, Marlow. I'll change that now.

Always something to learn through TV!