Thursday, May 25, 2006

NEW @ TOOBWORLD CENTRAL

Stopped by midtown source for bootleg DVDs of old TV shows and picked up a trio of niceties.

First up, a volume of 'Captain Nice', the 1960s spoof of superheroes starring William Daniels (spelled "Danials" on the case!).

I think they were going for that 'Get Smart' feel, but at least Mel Brooks, Buck Henry, Leonard Stern, and Don Adams knew how to walk that fine line between satire and over the top buffoonery.

'Captain Nice' leaped over that line in a single bound.

Episodes include:

"The Man Who Flies Like A Pigeon"
"Don't Take Any Wooden Indians"
"Whatever Lola Wants...."
"The Man With Three Blue Eyes"
"It Tastes O.K., But Something's Missing"

'Beany And Cecil'
Seventeen Bob Clampett Cartooooons! I'm buying now with an eye on my upcoming vacation at the Lake in July. I'll be spending a lot of time with my nephew Tommy, who's about a year and a half old. And I'd like to introduce him to the cartoons that I grew up with. I was hoping to pick up a volume of 'Hoppity Hooper' - not that he'd be able to appreciate the vocal talents of Hans Conried Uncle Waldo Wigglesworth, - but somebody purloined it from the shelf before I came back to buy it.

Still, 'Beany & Cecil' is a nice substitute, and probably even a bit weird - that just from looking at how gay Beany looks on the cover.....

In the coming weeks I'll also pick up a volume of 'Heckle & Jeckle' and 'Deputy Dawg'.

If only I could find 'Tales Along The Riverbank' - and the really old version at that.

I'm a big fan of Jim Henson. Hey, let's face it - no matter who the subject, I'd be a big fan.

I picked up a DVD of three of his short films:

"Time Piece" - 1965
"The Cube" - 1969
"Hey, Cinderella" - 1969

What I'd really love to find is some of Rowlf's work from 'The Jimmy Dean Show'. Rowlf is my all-time favorite Muppet and I loved hearing that he pissed off Sausage Man by getting more fan mail than he did.

So that's what's new at Toobworld Central.

What's new with you?

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

No comments: