Friday, April 29, 2005

MASONRY

It's only my opinion, but I count this as Mason Adams last great scene in Toobworld.

ACT ONE
FADE IN: INT. THE SUPREME COURT - JUSTICE CROUCH’S OFFICE - DAY
The retiring Supreme Court Justice JOSEPH CROUCH is with President Bartlet.

BARTLET
You’re too young to retire, Joseph.

CROUCH[laughs]
You’re an excellent liar, Mr. President.

BARTLET[chuckling]
Yes sir.

CROUCH
You’re gonna go with Harrison?

BARTLET
He’s on the short list.

CROUCH
Yeah?

BARTLET
Yeah.

CROUCH
With how many other names?

BARTLET
We’ll make our announcement on Thursday.

CROUCH
You’ve decided on Harrison.

BARTLET
I haven’t made a decision yet, Joseph.

CROUCH
You’ve made the call. [beat] Did you even consider Mendoza?

BARTLET
Mendoza was on the short list.

CROUCH
Mendoza was on the short list so you can show you had an Hispanic on the short list.

BARTLET
That’s not true, Joseph.

CROUCH
You ran great guns in the campaign. It was an insurgency, boy, a sight to see. And then you drove to the middle of the road the moment after you took the oath. Just the middle of the road. Nothing but a long line painted yellow.

BARTLET
Excuse me, sir...

CROUCH
I wanted to retire five years ago. But I waited for a Democrat. I wanted a Democrat. Hmm! And instead I got you.

('THE WEST WING' - "THE SHORT LIST")

Of his best-known role in Toobworld, that of Charlie Hume, the managing editor of the Los Angeles Tribune, the one moment that has stuck with me through all these years was from the first episode.

While presenting 'Lou Grant' to the imperious owner of the Trib, Mrs. Margaret Pynchon, Charlie started blowing air kisses to the little "yap-dogs" she kept by her side.

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

No comments: