Sunday, October 28, 2007

RETURN OF THE BIG GIANT HEAD

William Shatner isn't too pleased with the idea that the next 'Star Trek' movie - to be about the early days of the original crew at the Starfleet Academy - may be filmed without his participation.

Leonard Nimoy, who played Mr. Spock, will be in the movie, however. Apparently he'll "bookend" the movie, with the main story being his flashback memories.

According to the Associated Press, Shatner said in an interview, "I can't believe it, I'm not in the movie at all. Leonard, God bless his heart, is in, but not me. I thought, 'what a decision to make', since it obviously is a decision not to make use of the popularity I have to ensure the movie has good box office. It didn't seem to be a wise business decision."

Sounds a little egotistical to me.
Maybe his memory is failing him, but if the movie "real time" is during Mr. Spock's later years, then Shatner should realize his character is already dead by that point!

Unless they can work miracles with make-up, Spock should look the fifteen years older than he was when he met with Captain Picard on Romulus in a two-part episode of 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'. It was after that encounter that Picard met Captain Kirk and together they battled the mad scientist Soren which resulted in the death of Kirk.

As the movie is supposed to be focused on Spock's memories of their youthful days, there's definitely no place for Shatner in there either.

Big Baby....

BCnU!
Toby OB


"It was fun.... Oh, my -#"
James Tiberius Kirk
[final words]
"Star Trek: Generations"

1 comment:

the Cur family said...

Now, I love Shatner, but your right. Why would he want to be in the movie? He gave his character a farewell in Generations.

There's no "need" for the elder Kirk to be in it. It would be foolish and anti-climatic.

I for one am glad Nimoy is in it exclusively. I wish he'd been in Star Trek: Nemesis.