Thursday, June 11, 2009

AS ARCHIE BUNKER WOULD SAY: GOOD NIGHT, NURSE!

According to the Daily News, the New York State Nurses Association wants a disclaimer added to the credits at the end of 'Nurse Jackie'; that the show is an aberration from how nurses really are. But actress Edie Falco, who plays Jackie Peyton in the show, had it right:

"We're not saying this is a show about nurses. This is a show about a nurse."


"That's not who I am," said Barbara Crane, president of the National Federation of Nurses. "That's not what I do."

That's right. Because you're not Jackie Peyton!

"I almost fell out of my chair when I saw 'Nurse Jackie.'," she continued. "What are my patients going to think when they see that [show]?"

You know, maybe if your patients can't make the distinction between a TV show and reality, maybe you should be more concerned about them than 'Nurse Jackie'!

I don't think my mother, who was a nurse, would have had a problem with the show; in fact, I'm pretty sure she would have loved it. I told my sister-in-law and an Iddiot friend to watch it - they're both nurses, and I thought they'd like it as well. Haven't heard yet from MJ, but Lydia was upset that she'd probably have to get Showtime now to see more of it.

"We are confident the viewing public will understand that [it is a show of fiction] and can differentiate between a work of fiction and a documentary, which this clearly is not." said Stuart Zakim, vice president of corporate communications at Showtime.

Who'd-a thunk I'd ever agree with a network suit?

They should still be nibbled to death by ducks......

BCnU!

No comments: