As is customary in a lot of entertainment sites (at least, I hope you find Inner Toob entertaining!), the end of the year leads us to look back at those whom we lost. I try to keep up to date with all of the departed who were involved in the expansion of the Toobworld Dynamic throughout the world, but I always somebody who deserved a tip of the hat from ye olde Caretaker. I'm sure this year will be no different.
But the blame can't be laid on those whose sites I depend on for this information. (Believe me, I've tried.) Besides major obituary sources like the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, and the Guardian, I've come to depend on "A Shroud Of Thoughts", "Bill Crider's Pop Culture Magazine", "Thrilling Days Of Yesteryear", and especially "Boot Hill". Thanks to everyone concerned at those blogs and web sites.
Sadly there were far too many we lost in many fields, so I've divided up the list for several posts.......
- Reginald HIll (author created 'Dalziel and Pascoe')
- John Christopher (sci-fi author created the "Tripods" trilogy)
- Bruce Howard ('Arrest And Trial')
- Jan Berenstein (co-creator of the Berenstein Bears)
- Jermone Ross ('Marcus Welby', 'I Remember Mama', 'Saints And Sinners', many Golden Age dramas & comedies, one day after 101st birthday)
- Richard Carpenter (created 'Catweazle' and 'Robin of Sherwood', adapted 'The Borrowers')
- Digby Wolfe (created 'Laugh-In')
- Maurice Sendak ('Seven Little Monsters', 'Really Rosie')
- Henry Denker
- Al Gordon (wrote for Jack Benny)
- William Hanley ("Something About Amelia", "The Attic: The Hiding Of Anne Frank")
- Judy Freudberg ('Sesame Street' for 35 years)
- Joan Scott (fronted for husband during blacklist, wrote for 'Lassie')
- Nelson Lyon ("Saturday Night Live")
- Margaret Mahy ("Maddigan's Quest", "Aliens In The Family")
- Don Brinkley ("Trapper John, MD.", "The Untouchables")
- Frank Pierson ("The Good Wife" & "Mad Men" consultant, oscar for "Dog Day Afternoon")
- Sidney Reznick ("The Garry Moore Show", "The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson")
- Gustave Field ('Wide Country, Gunsmoke', 'Combat', '12 O’Clock High', 'Then Came Bronson', 'The Bold Ones', 'The Six Million Dollar Man')
- David Chantler ('The Adventures Of Superman', 'Interpol Calling', 'Zero One', 'The Human Jungle', and 'Paul Temple', Lassie, Richard Diamond Private Detective, Daniel Boone, and The Invaders)
- Esther Mitchell ('The Land Of The Giants', 'Combat!', 'Perry Mason', 'Cannon', 'S.W.A.T.', and 'Charlie’s Angels')
- Alan Kirschenbaum ('Yes, Dear')
- Don Rhymer ('Valerie', 'Evening Shade', 'Hearts Afire')
- Reinhold Weege (created 'Night Court')
- Robert Sherman ('Zorro' theme, 'It's A Small World')
- Ralph Ferraro ('The Virginian', 'It Takes A Thief' episodes)
- Joel Goldsmith ('Stargate: Atlantis', "Star Trek: First Contact")
- Mort Lindsey ("Liza With A Z", "A Happening In Central Park")
- Billie Barnes ('Laugh-In' novelty songs)
Good night and may God bless......