Friday, October 5, 2007

SOME SOOTY SERENDIPITEEVEE

Last week I received the Disney Treasures collection of the first five episodes of 'The Mickey Mouse Club', in their entirety, and decided to take them along with me on this week's vacation. That's because the first episode aired on Oct. 3rd, 1955. I thought it might be fun to watch an episode a day, on the 52nd anniversary of its first broadcast.

In the second episode, from October 4th, the American audience was introduced to a small, hand-puppet bear named Sooty. Sooty and his "friend" Harry Corbett. As this aired when I was just a few months old, I have no memories of it and so watching it yesterday was my first exposure to Sooty. (Pictured at right, Sooty and Harry with Sooty's new TV, a gift from Mickey Mouse.)

And so today, thanks to UK Rob of "The Medium Is Not Enough" TV blog (link to the left!), I find out that Sooty has made the news!

BCnU!
Toby OB

No comments: