Wednesday, October 25, 2006

IN THE WORDS OF MAHATMA GUMBY....*

David Bianculli, TV critic and columnist for the New York Daily News, is one of my favorites when it comes to professional televisiologists; he coined the phrase "Tele-Literacy".

Every so often he writes a column with the "Extras" submitted by his readers. (Extras are in-jokes found in TV shows.)

I've been published in that column many times in the past for Extras which I submitted; just a fraction of the many I've found and reported.

He's even given me props for being the person who's sent in the most. (Which could be an indication that I should get out more.....)

But once again, he's typoed me out of existence......

Another new series, another new Extra. Both James Geus of Whitestone and Tony O'Brien of Manhattan enjoyed the appearance by Rob Reiner as guest host of the fictional late-night sketch comedy show on NBC's "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip." Why?

"It's no secret that the show within the show is based on 'Saturday Night Live.'" O'Brien notes, adding, "The third episode ever of 'Saturday Night Live' had Rob Reiner as its guest host."

Geus, coming to the same conclusion as O'Brien, writes, "I'm sure this is not an accident."

I'm "Toby", Dammit!

(All apologies, Gumby.)

The full story can be found here:

And out of the four or five I sent in since the last column, that wasn't even the best. My favorite came from "Casanova" on 'Masterpiece Theatre', when the legendary lover was boasting about his new mansion in Paris. Apparently it was so big that they could even use one room only for wrapping presents.

This was an obvious reference to Aaron Spelling, who had a mansion so huge that it also had a room just for wrapping presents.

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to use a larger font the next time I write to Bianculli. All that TV probably ruined his eyesight.......

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

*Leslie Zevo (Robin Williams), "Toys"

No comments: