Wednesday, January 1, 2020

IF I WAS THE DOCTOR? SHOW TUNES!



In one of the many Facebook groups named "Doctor Who", Andrew Pollack posted an interesting premise back in March of this year:

You had the chance to play the Doctor.  Now its your final episode.  You're about to regenerate to someone else, and your "goodbye speech" is...

So this is the idea that I had:

The personality quirk for my incarnation of the Doctor was to break out in show tunes at inopportune moments, but which have a kernel of truth in them for that particular situation.  As I feel regeneration about to overwhelm me, I let loose with the rousing chorus from “This Is Me.”

“I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me!”

And.... regenerate!


(Fellow group member Sabreen Reza recognized that Oscar-nominated song to be from the movie "The Greatest Showman".)

I've been thinking of other show tunes my Doctor might quote at opportune moments in his adventures.
Here are a few of the ones I came up with:

  • "Always look on the bright side of life."
  • "Something's coming.  I don't know what it is, but it is going to be great!"
  • "Now my arm is complete!" (Think back to what happened during "The Christmas Invasion".)
So long, farewell, auf wiedersehn, goodbye!

O'Bservation:

The graphic at the top is from a book by my late friend Brad Williams, puppeteer extraordinaire.  The book was entitled "The Complete Time Traveler: A Tourist's Guide To The Fourth Dimension".




No comments: