Wednesday, January 1, 2020

FANFICCER'S FRIEND - ANOTHER LOOK AT DOCTOR #1B



The Toobworld Dynamic is fluidic, just as Television itself is.  Since TV shows can be revised, I also revise my theories about the Television Universe occasionally.

This is my latest one - about the 1-B Incarnation of the Doctor.

This Doctor only made one appearance in Toobworld, during the 25th anniversary special "The Five Doctors".  He was played by Richard Hurndall, who was the recastaway for William Hartnell who had passed away years before.  

No mention was made of the fact that he did not look much like the First Incarnation and was in fact probably even taller.  But the other incarnations of the Doctor apparently accepted him as their progenitor - the original, you might say.  And his granddaughter Susan wasn't disturbed by the difference in his appearance.  

The first time I tackled the subject, I thought he might be a younger version of the First Incarnation.  Then I figured he was actually an incarnation of the Doctor scooped up from a relative dimension in space rather than from the main Toobworld.  Genetically slightly off but still nothing which alarmed Susan.

But now I'm thinking it's a good possibility for fan fiction.  I've gone back to him being a younger version of himself, but here's the crux of the facfic - this was how he was looking throughout most of his later years.  But then somehow he triggered a partial regeneration (just as the Tenth Incarnation would later do).  It's a regeneration which he doesn't figure into his personal tally, but which looks to have aged him even more and made him even more snappish to others.

This is part of his personal history which Susan already knew and so she was not surpised to see him looking different.

(They were not scooped up together.  She was grabbed from later in her timeline, at least two decades later.  And I have this feeling that she was a widow, that her husband David Campbell had somehow died in building that new world after the defeat of the Daleks.  I'm also thinking she might have made the Doctor a great-grandfather, but tis a story for another time.....)
And as for the Doctor's portrayal by David Bradley in the Christmas 2018 special "Twice Upon A Time"?  That's how he looked from the perspective of the 12th Incarnation.


What caused that partial regeneration of theFirst Incarnation?  Well, that'll be up to you if you want to write up this fanfic.  And if you do, as always I ask you to send me a copy.  I'd love to read it.


Allonsy, Dear Boy!

No comments: