Tuesday, February 23, 2010

ELEVEN IS MATT, BUT AFTER THAT?

Matt Smith assumed the mantle of the Doctor, the Eleventh Incarnation, at the end of the two-part holiday special "The End Of Time". And he won't have his first full adventure until Easter Sunday.

And yet here I am with a suggestion already for his replacement, or at the very least, for a future regeneration. (You know that sooner or later the BBC will come up with some sort of techno-babble to rid themselves of that 13 regenerations roadblock.)

It's been stated that the Doctor should be cast young, in his thirties at most, because of all the action scenes in the revamped series. And even though I think my favorite past candidate for the role, Julian Rhind-Tutt, could still qualify for the more exhaustive aspects of filming, I've decided to move on and throw my support to a new candidate.

Don't get me wrong! I'm hoping Matt Smith has a long run in the series, even to equal Tom Baker's length of service - it'll be up to him, I'm sure. (Unlike the case with Colin Baker as Number Six, I'm sure the quality of scripts will always be there to support Smith as Number Eleven.)

As such, I've set my sights on an actor who may be considered too young for the role right now, (Currently, he's 23 - one of "the Numbers" from 'Lost'!), but who'd be perfect ten years down the timestream.

James Buckley, perhaps best known as Jay Cartwright from 'The Inbetweeners'.

I've really been impressed with what I've seen so far of his work as Jay. He really displays the humor and the energy and the oversized enthusiasm that would be essential for the role of the Doctor. And there's just a little something... off... about him; I can't put my finger on the quality exactly, but I wouldn't have any trouble accepting that he's alien in origin.

(Blake Harrison as Neil Sutherland also has an "off" quality that could aid him in playing an alien, just not as the alien Time Lord.)


He already shows a propensity for scarves.....


Hopefully he'd at least be considered when the time comes for Doctor #12, or some other regeneration after that. As can be seen by the photo at right, even now as Jay, young Master Buckley displays a quirky fashion sense that would be in keeping with a new incarnation of the Doctor....

I'm just sayin', is all.....

Of course, sooner or later, they really do need to consider casting a black actor, or even an Asian or some other minority.

And for Bleep's sake, when are we going to get a ginger doctor???

BCnU!

No comments: