Thursday, November 8, 2007

CHUCKING THE 2007 YANKEES

One of the highlights of the summer season for me was "The Bronx Is Burning" on ESPN, the mini-series about the fabled 1977 baseball season for the New York Yankees.

If any season in the years since merited a sequel, I think it would definitely be this past year. Behind the Red Sox all season, a late in the game surge that just falls short, the goodbye to Joe Torre, A-Rod's opt-out, the rise to prominence by Hank and Hal Steinbrenner (known to some friends of mine as "Uday and Qusay"), the jerk-ass move by A-Rod's agent Scott Boras during the final game of the World Series......

I thought Oliver Platt did a great job as the Boss, capturing the manner and the voice, but he didn't really look like George. So this time around, they should get an actor closer in age to George Steinbrenner to play the role, and I think I have the perfect candidate:

Chuck McCann.

No comments: