Thursday, October 6, 2005

WISH-CRAFT: BRIERS & BARKER

Richard Briers starred in the 1975 series 'The Good Life' (known in America as 'The Good Neighbors'). It was about a man who decided to chuck it all on his 40th birthday and become totally self-sufficient, a man of the land.... while still living in his suburban home.

I'm in the process of watching the complete series on DVD. Back in the late 70s, it served as my introduction to Felicity Kendal and I've been a big fan of hers ever since.

Over at the BBC Online, Briers paid tribute to his old friend Ronnie Barker, who passed away on Monday:

"What a marvellous friend Ronnie was. Everyone liked Ronnie - there was nothing about him to dislike - he was a generous man, a very nice man and a great family man too.

We worked together on Tom Stoppard's 'The Real Inspector Hound' at the Criterion Theatre 1968.

But I knew him before then as my wife, Ann, had worked with him at the Royal Court theatre. We became good friends. "

As I said, I'm still working my way through Briers' series of 'The Good Life', so for alls I know, Ronnie Barker might have made an appearance on the show.

But I couldn't help dreaming in Toobworld. I would have loved for a scene in which Tom Good (Briers) tried to barter with Mr. Arkwright (Barker) at his 'Open All Hours' shop in Doncaster.

Or as a sly nod to 'The Two Ronnies', perhaps Tom could make his own candles only to find out that his prospective client wasn't looking for four candles, but for fork 'andles!

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

No comments: