Wednesday, January 26, 2011

ROOSTER COGBURN THE THIRD

The nominations for the Academy Awards were announced yesterday morning, and one that "caught my eye" (t'hee) was for Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn in the Coen Brothers' remake of "True Grit".

I saw the movie and thought he was fantastic in the role. But I don't think he stands much of a chance for winning this year, for a couple of reasons.

1) He just won last year for "Crazy Heart".

2) This will be Colin Firth's year, for his role in "The King's Speech".

I'm not sure the fact that John Wayne had already won the Oscar for the same role back in 1969 would be a factor against him. It wouldn't be the first time two actors have won for playing the same role. I can't say it happened before the early 1970's without doing the research - and I'm too lazy today! - but Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro both won Oscars for playing Don Vito Corleone in "The Godfather" and "The Godfather Part Two" respectively. (De Niro's was for Best Supporting Actor.)

But even though this is more relevant for a movie blog, I'm bringing it up because Rooster Cogburn is a TV character as well. In fact, he's a true multiversal, since there's also the source material - Charles' Portis' novel "True Grit".

A pilot for 'True Grit' was made in 1978, with Warren Oates in the role of Rooster Cogburn. Just the year before he also stepped into the shoes of Humphrey Bogart as Charlie Allnut in a TV movie/pilot for "The African Queen" (with Mariette Hartley, I believe).

I've looked around the internet for images or videos of Warren Oates as Rooster Cogburn, but finally realized I'd have to make my own. (The pilot may be available form a bootlegger, but I've yet to bother with looking for one. Again, Toby = Lazy.)

So here's my quickie attempt at a picture of Warren Oates as he might have looked in the role of Rooster Cogburn. It took all of three minutes to slap it together....

I suppose it could have come out better had I spent some time on it, but have I mentioned that I'm lazy?

BCnU!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWs0g5jcAqY

Toby O'B said...

Thankee kindly, stranger!