Friday, November 5, 2010

BEACHED TALE

Don't they do quality checks at the companies that put out TV programs on DVD? I don't mean the quality of the sound and picture, but the information supplied on those DVDs.

I just finished watching an episode of 'Foyle's War' on DVD - "Bleak Midwinter". And after it was over, I wanted to learn more about the actress who played Hilda Greenwood in the episode. Having never seen 'Fresh Fields' or any of her other credits, I had no idea who Ann Beach is.

And if I depended on the cast biographies section for the DVD, I still wouldn't.

First off, there is no listing for her among the options, only for Liz Fraser.

But the picture they used for Ms. Fraser is that of Ann Beach: I cross-checked, not just depending on the IMDb, but also a very good website for 'Foyle's War'. Both sources definitely state that Ann Beach played Hilda whereas Ms. Fraser was Mollie Summersgill.

However I don't find any other current pictures of Ann Beach, but I'd hazard a guess that this picture from her rep's site is definitely the same woman.....

This isn't the first time the problem has surfaced. I wish I made note of the last example.

For shame, Acorn Media. For shame.....

BCnU!

3 comments:

Marya Berry said...

In response to the above, Liz Fraser is quite recognisably the hairdresser Mrs Summersgille, so listed correctly as Liz Fraser. The character Hilda Greenwood is played by Amy Beach,incredibly unknown to us.

So happy to see Liz Fraser in this marvellous series.

No "for shame, Acorn Media" EXCEPT possibly for not adding English subs for non-native speakers.

Marya Berry said...

Correction: the actress who played Hilda Greenwood is Ann Beach.

Marya Berry said...

In response to the above comment, yes, Acorn Media should not post a photo of Ann Beach as Liz Fraser, who played Mollie Summersgill. They are both no longer w us, alas. And NB, Ann Beach was the mother of the v gifted Charlotte Coleman who also left us much too soon at the age of 34. Both Fraser & Beach's performances shout real in their respective roles as hairdresser & explosives worker in the Foyle's War episode "Bleak Midwinter". We miss them. R.I.P.