Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A TASTE OF LISBON PEPPER

When 'The Mentalist' Patrick Jane and his CBI boss Teresa Lisbon visited a traveling carnival for information, Lisbon was picked out right away as a cop. As one of the carny folk put it, "It's like Cagney and Lacey had a baby and named it Pepper."

We've dealt with 'Cagney And Lacey' Zonks in the past. It seems to be the go-to pop culture reference whenever female police detectives are involved. It's another Toobworld riff on Andy Warhol's famous quote: In Toobworld, anybody could have a TV show made about them.

It's the mention of "Pepper" that's a new twist. It could be that she was referring to Pepper Anderson, the character played by Angie Dickinson in 'Police Woman' back in the 1970's. But the last name wasn't given, so we can disregard that assumption if we wanted. And I'm going to ignore it. As a matter of fact, the reference didn't even occur to me when I heard it; I just thought of it as a funny name for a kid as I was watching it. Or maybe that she had a funny way of saying the name....

BCnU!

PS:
There was also a mention of the Cone of Silence from 'Get Smart' on a TV show last week, but I forgot to write down the name of the show. All I remember is that it was a young Jason Bateman type of actor saying that they would have to "cone of silence" something.

I really have to start taking better notes.......

No comments: