Monday, November 3, 2008

ENTITLED TO BE RED

I've mentioned this in the past, I love episode titles. I hate it when a show doesn't have any titles at all for their episodes. (I'm looking at you, 'Primeval' and the UK version of 'Life On Mars'. Thank Jack Lord that 'New Tricks' finally wised up!)

I especially love when a show develops a theme for their titles. 'Remington Steele' tried to use the word 'Steele' in most of theirs; the classic would be 'The Wild, Wild West' in which all of their episodes began with "The Night Of". Currently, it's "Chuck vs." whatever each week on 'Chuck'.

'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' and 'The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.' each used "Affairs"; 'Dundee And The Culhane' used "Briefs"; 'Perry Mason' had "Cases". 'Commander-In-Chief' tried to have every episode be a "First", but finally gave up the notion.

I think the American version of 'Life On Mars' is going for a rock lyric as their titles, although I'm not sure about that "My Maharishi Is Bigger Than Your Maharishi" from two weeks ago.

So I'm looking at the episode guide for 'The Mentalist' and saw that they're going for a color scheme:

23 Sep 08 Pilot (Bleep! I hate when they just use "Pilot" for the first episode!)

30 Sep 08 Red Hair and Silver Tape

14 Oct 08 Red Tide

21 Oct 08 Ladies in Red

28 Oct 08 Redwood

11 Nov 08 Red-Handed

18 Nov 08 The Thin Red Line

25 Nov 08 Red Brick and Ivy

TBA Flame Red

Will they be able to maintain this for the rest of the year? Will they go through a blue period for the sophomore season?

There's probably a reason for this that was brought up in the pilot, which I missed. Color me red-faced if I'm missing the obvious.

Sorry about that, Chief.....

BCnU!
Toby O'B

1 comment:

Terence Towles Canote said...

The Wild Wild West always started their episode titles with "The Night of...."