Sunday, June 22, 2008

60 YEARS AGO: A REALLY BIG SHEW

Thanks to my blogging buddy Mercurie (A Shroud Of Thoughts, link to the left) I found out that Friday marked the sixtieth anniversary for 'The Ed Sullivan Show'. It began life as 'The Toast Of The Town', but was renamed to reflect one of the most unlikely stars Television ever produced: a stiff, awkward, somewhat un-photogenic newspaper columnist.

And the idea that such a mainstay of network television for so many years would premiere when the "TV Season" as we know it had ended, seems unthinkable today!

When I chose Topo Gigio, who closed out many Sullivan shows with a kees goo'night from the host, to be
the June inductee into the TV Crossover Hall of Fame, I had no clue that this milestone was soon approaching. It's just another example of "serendipiteevee", I guess.

Mercurie has a rich look back at the show and his profile gives it a much better tribute than I ever could.
So check it out here!

BCnU!
Toby OB

1 comment:

Terence Towles Canote said...

Thanks for the kind words, Toby. I didn't even realise it was "the really big shew's" anniversary until late last week!