Monday, July 20, 2009

JUST A LOT OF LUNAR-CY

Okay, since blogs are also supposed to be personal journals, I thought today would be a good day to air out a few misty water-colored memories of the way I was - forty years ago today, when Man first landed on the Moon. Share with you what I remember from watching those grainy images as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin bounced around on the lunar surface.

I didn't see it.

That's right, ye olde televisiologist, the man who viewed too much, never saw the original broadcast of the 1969 moon landing.

I was at Deer Lake Boy Scout Camp in Killingworth, Ct. that week. And there was absolutely no TV - not even radio! - available to us.

But I do have a TV-related anecdote from that night of July 20th, 1969.

We were at dinner in the big hall when one of the counsellors stood up and announced that he had some very bad news to report.

"Oh no!" I remember thinking. "Something's happened to the astronauts!"

"Today... Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion has died."
And that's all I can tell you about that day in history from my own perspective.....

BCnU!

No comments: