Tuesday, November 20, 2007

THE HAT SQUAD: DICK WILSON

I could have been prophetic with this one.....

Back in August, when I got a new computer (my buddy Artemus!), I tested out its abilities to do screen captures from a bootleg disc I have of 'Captain Nice'. In one of the episodes Dick Wilson appears, doing his patented drunk routine, which most TV viewers know from 'Bewitched'. And then online, I found several other great examples from 'The Paul Lynde Show', which I also grabbed - with the intent to write up a piece on the toll taken on George Whipple from his frustrating years as a supermarket manager.

But I held off writing it up; there was always something more pressing to scribble instead......

Yesterday, news came that Dick Wilson, who played George Whipple in 500 Charmin commercials, passed away at the age of 91. Somewhere in Heaven, he's hanging out with his buddy, the original Maytag Repairman, Jesse White.

500 blipverts - that averages out to be about the length of a two and a half hour movie, folks!

And so, I'd like to present a profile of a man who more fittingly deserves the label of "TV Icon" than someone like Marcia Cross or Calista Flockhart - George Whipple.

In the meantime, I just wanted to doff my cap to Dick Wilson, a man who literally gave his blood to bring us Mr. Whipple. In one of the more memorable Charmin ads, George Whipple got a parrot to squawk the message "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." At the end of the commercial, the parrot bit him on the finger - definitely an unscripted moment!

The commercial freezes on that image, but that's mainly because it would have been too traumatic to see wha' hoppint, as Ricky Ricardo would say. The parrot bit right to the bone; for alls I know, Mr. Wilson could have lost the finger!

Gosh, Mr. Wilson!

When I get home from work in the morning, I'll load that salute to George Whipple here at Inner Toob, with all the pics I have showing his life in Toobworld.

Until then: Dick Wilson, may God bless...


BCnU!
Toby OB

No comments: