Thursday, February 2, 2006

NEW @ TOOBWORLD CENTRAL

I finally got hold of the boxed set for 'Nowhere Man', the last show before the current 'Lost' for which I got so fixated. The show debuted around the same time as my introduction to the Internet, and the combination led me to spend hours in the AOL bbs for the show.

I wish now I had kept the transcripts of everything I wrote about each episode to see how my ideas then held up.

At any rate, tracking it down has led me to switch my allegiance in retail DVD buying from the Virgin Megastore to FYE. FYE at least had it in stock. And the other DVDs I picked up were cheaper than they were listed over at Virgin.

(I know - I could have made it even easier - and most likely, cheaper - for myself, had I bought them online at Amazon or wherever. But my wallet was all the way over on the other side of the apartment, and I was already so comfortably ensconced if front of the computer....)

'Cheyenne' - As was the case with my purchase of 'Maverick' last week, this has only three episodes on it. Despite the fact that the show is on weekly on the American Life network, I'm not familiar with any of these three. But I know which one I would have liked to have seen on here - "The Dark Rider" with Diane Brewster as Samantha Crawford, a character she would go on to play in several episodes of 'Maverick'.

At any rate, it was at least a dollar less at FYE.

Looking at the cover of the disc, I can't help but see an echo of Jake Gyllenhaal from 'Brokeback Mountain' in Clint Walker's pose and expression. Without going the same route as that movie, I could see Gyllenhaal playing a modern-day descendant of Cheyenne Bodie should the day ever come when he turns to TV work.

I'm not saying that he can't play it the same way he played Jack Twist, not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just that it would have been a case of "been there, done Heath" already.

And finally there's the two-disc/twenty episode box of 'The Beverly Hillbillies', which cost only 9 bucks. The boxed set for 'Entourage' has only eight episodes and it costs 40 quatloos. I suppose it'll come down to 9 bucks once it's been around for 40 years.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a die-hard fan of the show or anything, but it'll be nice here at Toobworld Central to pop in an episode if ever I feel the need, and not have to worry about sitting through the commercials and the sacrilegious editing of the show by TV Land (who's supposed to be preserving our Television Heritage).

My only regret is that my favorite episode, "The Giant Jack-Rabbit", isn't in the collection.

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

1 comment:

Larry Hertzog said...

Check out the Larry Hertzog blog and podcasts at www.nowheremandvd.com