Friday, November 18, 2005

PHILLY FLASH

Danny DeVito created one of the greatest TV characters of all time with Louie DePalma in 'Taxi'. In fact, the TV Guide chose Louie as THE greatest of all TV characters. And now he's finally coming back on a regular basis as a new character in 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia'. The show follows a group of friends who own a bar in Philadelphia and was one of the high points of my summer viewing season.

Creator-star Rob McElhenney, was excited by the news. "When John gave me the news that Danny agreed to join the show, I thought it was a joke," McElhenney says. "Getting the news from FX that our show got a second season pickup was fantastic. Getting the news that Danny has signed on to co-star feels like we just hit the lottery."

DeVito will play the father of Dennis and Sweet Dee in ten episodes. The character is a highly successful contractor who moves from his cushy suburban home back to the city, in an effort to recapture his youth and spend more time with his kids.

I think the casting of DeVito is a brilliant idea. ("Brilliant!") But I question the connection for his character. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the show or not, (It only averaged about 1.1 million viewers, which I suppose is good for cable?), but I just can't buy into the idea that DeVito shares any genetic stuff with Dennis and Sweet Dee.

Now, if they were to announce that he was in fact the biological father of the character Charlie..... I'd buy THAT for a dollar!

But I am glad he's coming on board the show, so that more people might sample the show and come around to my way of thinking that 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia' is the true heir to 'Seinfeld'.

As FX President John Landgraf said, "Danny's return to regular series television in 'Sunny' speaks volumes about the quality of the show and the talents of the creative team behind it."

'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia' returns in June of 2006.

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

No comments: