Sunday, January 1, 2012

FAIRY STUFF

I suppose I should say something about the 2011 Christmas Special for 'Doctor Who' ("The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe"). I don't like to do reviews, that's not my bag here at Inner Toob, but I will say I was underwhelmed by the effort on first viewing. I saw it again and it did grow on me; I did like what transpired, but the three interlopers from Androzani Major still came off as a jarring intrusion - too comical to be anything but caricatures. They threw me out of the suspension of disbelief for everything else.

But I do want to make note that a theoretical link could be found in the dialogue to another other-worldly series currently on TV. Well, actually.... it's not TV, it's HBO.

When the Doctor and Lily Arwell first arrived on that other planet many centuries from "now", Lily asked if they were in Fairyland. The Doctor scoffed at this notion, which made the audience think at first that he was about to tell her that there was no such thing as Fairyland.

Instead he said that Fairyland looked nothing like this planet with self-decorating Christmas trees.
Once upon a time? Maybe it did look like that forested world. But Fairyland does exist in Toobworld and it's now a barren, arid, really ugly other dimension.


And it can be found in 'True Blood'.

Fairyland - the illusion

Fairyland - the reality
 So even though we'll never see it happen, the Doctor's path could always cross that of Sookie Stackhouse, the Bon Temps waitress who is involved with vampires and is herself of faerie descent.
BCnU!

No comments: