Saturday, November 27, 2010

AS SEEN ON TV: BETTY ROLLIN (AND NOT QUITE ARTHUR HERZOG)



BETTY ROLLIN & "ARTHUR HEROZ"

AS SEEN IN:
"First You Cry"

AS PLAYED BY:
Betty Rollin - Mary Tyler Moore
"Arthur Heroz" - Anthony Perkins

Betty Rollin's own words:

I had a lump for a year. At least a year. It was a hard little thing -- about the size of a yellow grape -- and it resided, imperceptible except to the touch, on the far left side of my left breast, due west of the nipple. I knew it was there, my (ex-) husband knew it was there, and my (ex-) internist knew it was there, and my (ex-) mammographer knew it was there. Of the four, only one of us was worried about it. That was Arthur Herzog, the husband, who had found it on a spring evening in 1974 during a routine sexual feel.
What's that? he said. I don't know, I said. It's a lump, he said. Mmmm, I said, wanting to sleep. Will you get it looked at? he said. Sure, I said, and went to sleep.

From People magazine:
In 1972 Rollin married science fiction writer Arthur Herzog III. Three years later she discovered a lump in her left breast and within months found herself in New York City's Beth Israel Medical Center recovering from a modified radical mastectomy.

The cancer forced Rollin to rethink many things, including her relationship with Herzog, whom she divorced in 1975. "I felt, 'I'm in this marriage that isn't great, and I could die soon, and I don't have any time to waste,' " she explains.

In the TV Movie, Herzog is named Arthur Heroz. So the televersion of Betty Rollin's life is not the same as it for the real Betty Rollin in the Trueniverse.

BCnU!

No comments: