Monday, April 12, 2010

A TOWNSEND FAMILY REUNION

At best, all we ever see of debonnair detective Charles Townsend on 'Charlie's Angels' is the back of his head as he gets a massage, usually only his arm. Henry Branham, Jr., who runs the "Charlie's Angels Forever" website, compiled the salient facts about Charlie:

"Since Charlie has so many acquaintances at the police department, it can be assumed that he started out at the bottom and worked his way to the top. After years as a police officer, he possibly moved up the status of lieutenant and from there he would go on to open his very own detective agency.

He was once married but confessed to not be the monogamous type, and it is never indicated whether or not he has any legitimate children."


Here are a few TV characters bearing the Townsend surname who may or may not be related to the mysterious Charlie Townsend:

Townsend* (Roswell (1994), Martin Sheen)

Taylor Townsend ("The O.C." (2003), Autumn Reeser)

Max Townsend ("Dracula: The Series" (1990), Jacob Tierney)

Christopher Townsend ("Dracula: The Series" (1990), Joe Roncetti)

Matthew Townsend ("It's Not Easy" (1983), Billy Jayne)

Neil Townsend ("It's Not Easy" (1983), Bert Convy)

Nick Townsend ("CSI: Miami" (2002), Rob Estes)

Pa Townsend, Frankie's father ("Windfall" (2006), David Newsom)
*The character played by Martin Sheen in the "Roswell" TV movie (NOT the TV series), could have been an older brother or even Charlie's father - if it can be determined that he was using his real name when dealing with Jesse Marcel.

I left out several others who at best were connected far too many generations back, as they were all British.

BCnU!

4 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I couldn’t help it. I just had to give you this award:

http://thrillingdaysofyesteryear.blogspot.com/2010/04/when-skies-are-gray.html

Keep up the good work!

ArcLight said...

Greetings,

I hope it's okay to respond to an old post like this but it reminded me of something very cool I caught on TV a long time ago. I was at my mom's and "Leave It To Beaver" was on. Specifically this episode:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0630337/

Note the dream girl's name: Ginny Townsend. That's not why I'm writing. I'm writing because in the episode when June calls Ginny's house - she asks for Mr. Charles Townsend.

Toby O'B said...

I hope you check back in, Arclight, because I really appreciate that trivia tidbit. When I get back from a short trip to Connecticut on family business, I'll write it up and give you props as the newest member of Team Toobworld!

Thanks again!

ArcLight said...

Glad I could help out. Oh, and in the interest of accuracy I tracked down the episode. June actually calls up information and asks for the number of a Mrs. Charles Townsend.

As a side note; in THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN episode "The Golden Pharaoh" Steve Austin calls Farrah Fawcett-Majors's character "an angel." I dunno about Toobworld but in the ArcLight-verse that's enough to show that Steve knew he was really working with an undercover Jill Munroe.