Friday, May 12, 2006

"IDOL" THOUGHTS

My friend Ivy and I were discussing Ken Levine's (link at left) Barcelona dispatch about this week's ouster of Chris Daughtry from 'American Idol' when she observed:

Hard to believe that a modern day version of Ted Mack's Amateur Hour could be this popular.

Since about twenty years ago, I noticed that certain things from the fifties era have come back in style on TV.

Didn't think of that one.

Wrestling kicked it off, quickly followed by 'The People's Court' and its clones.

'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' launched the prime time game show revival.

The police procedurals are just updates on 'Racket Squad', 'M Squad', 'Naked City', etc.

John Edward cashes in on the TV psychic bit.

(On a similar note - and I could be struck by lightning for making that correlation - the religious programming never went away. But unlike Bishop Sheen, I don't think many of the televangelists are really working for "Sky Chief".)

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

No comments: