Monday, January 1, 2018

A FEMALE DOCTOR? HOWZABOUT HONEYSUCKLE?


O'BSERVATION: On July 16th the news was announced that Jodie Whittaker, perhaps most famous for three seasons of 'Broadchurch', will be the new Doctor, once again working with Chris Chibnall.  I'm going to run this post anyway because my advocacy for Honeysuckle Weeks (and Julian Rhind-Tutt when it comes to that) is still valid as we'll need a new Doctor after the next regeneration.

Good luck to Ms. Whittaker!  We've seen her already a week ago during the Christmas special and I'm now looking forward to what the Future may bring.......



I am writing this on February 8, 2017, the night before a promised big storm.  By the time this sees print on January 1st, 2018, I'm fairly certain that the new actor to play the Doctor during Chris Chibnall's stint as the showrunner will have been announced.  Nevertheless, I wanted to ply a bit o' Wish-Craft on the subject so that perhaps one day these ideas take hold and come to be.


In the past I've trumpeted my favorite choice to be the next Doctor - Julian Rhind-Tutt.  When I first saw him as Monty Pippin in 'Keen Eddie', I felt he was already exhibiting traits and quirks which would have worked for a new incarnation of the Doctor.

I still think he would/will make an excellent Time Lord.  And I don't think that playful spirit will be ossified by age, so I can be patient on that score.

But I think the tide is turning for the Doctor to finally regenerate into a woman.  And I'm ready for it to happen.

The DNA of the Time Lords is malleable and we've already seen (or at least heard about) three examples of Time Lords becoming Time Ladies* - the Corsair, the General, and most significantly the Master AKA Missy.  So I think the stage was being set by Moffat so that his successors had that option to play.

And in anticipation of that, a lot of names are being bandied about.  Olivia Colman, Helen Mirrren, Hayley Atwell.

So let me toss in another.....

Honeysuckle Weeks.

The star of 'Foyle's War' would be perfect piloting that stolen TARDIS.  (Might have the blue box questioning its own sexuality!)  Ms. Weeks is quirky, cute but not distractingly so; she has a very subtle hint of the alien in her features.  And I think she could handle all the running and also be deft with the daft dialogue.

Take a gander at these pictures of her and imagine her outfits as tryouts for the Doctor's new wardrobe.  (Especially that first one)


I think the color scheme would be perfect for the Doctor


"Skirt Pants" - is there such a term?
Then that would also look good on the Time Lord.


Climbing stairs in the TARDIS?


Hiding in plain sight in the Middle Ages?


A female Doctor should embrace her femininity
and yet still suggest being the Doctor in the wardrobe.
(i.e. - the jacket)

I think it's time to bring back a big scarf for the Doctor!


I'm sure a female Doctor will inspire slash-fic.


The Doctor testing out a new look?


I have fond memories of the Doctor choosing his wardrobe.

But if it's not to be Honeysuckle Weeks as the Doctor, I'd like to also suggest another actress with an interesting name: Cush Jumbo, from 'Vera', 'The Good Wife', and now its sequel, 'The Good Fight'.  I was pitching her to be the new Starfleet Captain in the CBS reboot, but I think she'd be aces as the Doctor as well.  And she would be memorable for breaking two barriers at the same time.

Geronimo!

* I'm hoping they don't resort to using that term.  Even as a woman, the Doctor should continue identifying herself as a Time Lord.

No comments: