Sunday, February 3, 2013

THE 2012 TOOBITS AWARDS (PART ONE)


2012 TOOBITS AWARDS
[Part One]

It's that time of year again, when we all make lists and think back over the past year, in whatever field of interest concerns us, and chronicle the high points and the lows. For the past few years I've been presenting this compilation as an awards show, the Toobits, which of course celebrates my two bits about Toobworld.

As it is with any such list you'll find in TV columns across the country these last few weeks, these are my opinions. You're welcome to your own and I hope you'll share them, but I'm sticking to my weapons of choice. (It could be you won't see something that was a favorite of yours because I just never got around to seeing it. There's only so much time in the world - even for a do-nothing-else-anyway sort like me! - and I've only got the two eyes, even if they do operate independantly of each other at times.)

Unlike the Emmy Awards which will just keep handing out trophies to some shows forever, only shows, characters and what-not that debuted in 2012 can be considered. (And by "debuted", I mean that which I first came in contact with in 2012. It could be a few years old, but if it's my first time seeing it, it's new.)

This one-time-only rule includes characters who have been recast; those are still the same characters who already exist in Toobworld. (But there were a few notable appearances that deserved honorable mention, and they get it.)

So without further ado, let's have at it:

BEST NEW TV SHOW OF THE YEAR
'The Newsroom'
I almost dropped this with the episode that tried to suggest all women could be stupid, but I trusted in Sorkin to finally get back on track. And it had a wonderful pay-off by the end of its first season.

WORST NEW TV SHOW OF THE YEAR
'Work It'
I made it through only ten minutes of the first episode. I'm told I was made of sterner stuff than some others who attempted to watch it.

BEST MINI-SERIES
'Restless'
This was quite a thrilling tale of espionage spanning the decades. And a great cast! (Rufus Sewell, Hayley Atwell, Michele Dockery, Charlotte Rampling, Michael Gambon)

BEST COMMERCIAL
Samsung Galaxy 3S


I like those commercials that provide an amusing look at real life, but still don't forget they're in a TV landscape.

WORST COMMERCIAL
The trans-vaginal mesh lawsuit ads seen on niche networks like Antenna TV or Me-TV.  I will spare you peasants from seeing one.  (However, I will admit that "Transvaginal Mesh" would make for a great rock band name - although Mr. Crider might disagree with me.)

BEST IMPORT
'Restless'

BEST EPISODE, ANY GENRE
'Game Of Thrones' - "Blackwater"
This was a stirring episode full of crackling dialogue, great visuals, and exciting battles.

Here are two of the best scenes, but be warned - they are full of spoilers!



BEST TWO-PART EPISODE


'30 Rock' - "Idiots Are People Two" & "Idiots Are People Three"
I've always been vocal about my hatred for Denise Richards' acting "talents", but I have to give her props for being brave enough to bolster the image of her IQ deficiency.

BEST SEASON FINALE
'Grimm'
All wrapped up in that one word: "Mom?"

BEST SERIES FINALE

Prime-Time: 'Chuck'
It's always nice to know that Life goes on, even if we don't get to watch anymore.

Daytime: 'One Life To Live'
They did a great job in wrapping up many of the storylines, but with the hope that it would one day return somewhere else. And it looks like their prayers were answered, albeit online......

BEST SPIN-OFF
'The Finder' from 'Bones'
At the very least, considering how short a time it was with us, 'The Finder' gave us one last interesting character from Michael Clarke Duncan.

BEST HISTORICAL RECREATION
'Restless'
They not only got the world of the 1940's and the homefront during those early days of World War II right, but they got the feel of the 1970's as well. And without overdoing it with set dressing. Just the outfits worn by Michelle Dockery were enough to let us know in what era those scenes were taking place.

BEST SENSE OF ONE'S OWN HISTORY
'Leverage' - "The Last Dam Job"
Brought back the following characters for the season finale:
Victor Dubenich (from the pilot)
Colin "Chaos" Mason
Maggie Collins
Archie Leach
Quinn

BEST CLASSIC TV EXPERIENCE
The discovery of Me-TV

End of Part One.....

BCnU!

1 comment:

Jim Peyton said...

BEST COMMERCIAL
Samsung Galaxy 3S
Hands down the best commercial in 2012