Sunday, November 11, 2012

AS SEEN ON TV: GENERAL JAMES MATTIS


The "ASOTV" showcase does its part to honor the veterans......

GENERAL JAMES N. "CHAOS" MATTIS

AS SEEN IN:
'Generation Kill'

PORTRAYED BY:
Robert John Burke

TV STATUS:
Multiversal
[Trueniverse, BookWorld, Toobworld]

TV DIMENSION:
Earth Prime-Time

From Wikipedia:
James N. Mattis (born September 8, 1950) is a United States Marine Corps general and the current commander of United States Central Command. Having replaced David Petraeus on August 11, 2010, he previously commanded United States Joint Forces Command from November 9, 2007 to August 2010 and served concurrently as NATO's Supreme Allied Commander Transformation from November 9, 2007 to September 8, 2009. Prior to that, he commanded I Marine Expeditionary Force, United States Marine Forces Central Command, and 1st Marine Division during the Iraq War.

General James Mattis is portrayed by Robert John Burke in the HBO miniseries 'Generation Kill'.


QUOTES:
Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with you, I like brawling.... You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them.
—James Mattis,  Speech in San Diego, 2005

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.
—James Mattis,  Message to the Iraqi leaders


O'BSERVATIONS:
I guess the reason I chose General Mattis for today's showcase - aside from this being Veterans' Day - is the mention of General Petraeus, who happens to be in the news this week.....

I think we've featured only one other TV character this year who was not only from BookWorld but from the Trueniverse as well.  

Today's entry sort of kicks off a week-long theme - TV characters you might not have realized originated in a book.  (But like I said, General Mattis exists in the real world first and foremost.)


BCnU!

No comments: