Sunday, May 15, 2011

"RHAPSODY IN RED"

During the latest episode of 'The Mentalist', Patrick Jane and the CBI team investigated the murder of the first violinist for a symphony orchestra in northern California. The same piece of classical music was used throughout the episode and it was finally performed at the end by Jane (on cello) and some of the orchestra members in a smooth jazz version.

I knew the song only from its use in PDQ Bach's "Unbegun Symphony" but never knew the original source. So I turned to fellow Iddiot (Iddiette?) Ruth Singleton, no slouch in the symphony orchestra department to help me identify the piece.

And she came through quickly with the info I was looking for!





I'll never remember the name of the piece; I'll have to be satisfied with just remembering it was Tchaikovsky.....

As a thank you, I'd like to give Ruth's orchestra a little plug. She's a member of the New Amsterdam Symphony Orchestra and they'll be performing at Symphony Space in NYC on Thursday June 2 at 8 PM.

The Symphony Space is on Broadway at 95th Street. If you're interested in tickets ($20.00, $14.00 for seniors and students), the box office number is 212-864-5400. Or you can reach them online at http://www.symphonyspace.org/ .

This will be the NASO's 35th anniversary gala and here's the line-up for the upcoming show:

BRAHMS Symphony No. 3
GRIEG Peer Gynt Suite No. 2
GRIEG In the Hall of the Mountain King
BIZET Carmen Suite No. 2

I'm pretty sure I'll be there.....

Thank you, Ruth!

BCnU!

No comments: