Wednesday, May 18, 2011

AS SEEN ON TV: DONALD TRUMP

DONALD TRUMP

AS SEEN ON:
'Saturday Night Live'

AS PLAYED BY:
Darrell Hammond

TV DIMENSION:
Skitlandia

STATUS:
Recastaway

From CBS News
(by Brian Montopoli):
Donald Trump ended his months-long public flirtation with a 2012 presidential run Monday, saying that he will not seek the Republican nomination -- even though he could have won the election.

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the Presidency," Trump said in a statement. "This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country. I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election. I have spent the past several months unofficially campaigning and recognize that running for public office cannot be done half heartedly. Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector."

Trump made the announcement as NBC, the television network that runs his reality show, announced its fall lineup of shows. Prior to the announcement, NBC said it would bring back the show, "The Celebrity Apprentice," with a different host if Trump ran.

In his statement, Trump thanked the "millions" who encouraged him to run and promised to "continue to voice my opinions loudly and help to shape our politician's thoughts."

"My ability to bring important economic and foreign policy issues to the forefront of the national dialogue is perhaps my greatest asset and one of the most valuable services I can provide to this country," he said. "I will continue to push our President and the country's policy makers to address the dire challenges arising from our unsustainable debt structure and increasing lack of global competitiveness."

"I will not shy away from expressing the opinions that so many of you share yet don't have a medium through which to articulate," added Trump, who has a regular guest spot on Fox News.

What a douchebag. I don't care if he is a member of the TV Crossover Hall of Fame. I think even fellow Hall member Elmo could have beaten him. Hell, I'd have voted for Elmo over Trump and I hate Elmo!

From The Daily Kos:
If you want to get an idea of how bad Donald Trump's political standing was by the end of his abortive run for President consider this- a national poll we conducted last week found that he would trail Dennis Kucinich 40-36 in a hypothetical contest.

As for those "millions" (I didn't add the original quotation marks.) who encouraged him to run, Andy Borowicz was right - they were the comedians who saw fresh material in his campaign.....

BCnU!

1 comment:

Jim Peyton said...

Looks like I won't have to take a stroll on the grassy knoll